Friday 27 February 2009

Another Dispicable Indictment Of The Greyhound Industry

Through the cause I run on Facebook and MySpace to Stop Greyhound Slaughter, I get to speak to a whole range of people and find out about the views they hold. Although there are one or two people that join the cause to ran and rave about how greyhound slaughter is just a figment of my imagination, the vast majority of people just want to help and one or two even have stories of their own to tell me.

I heard one such story a few days ago; a tale of greyhound rescue by a decent and incredible individual that was not affiliated with a greyhound rescue charity. We all know what amazing work greyhound rescues do but I also find it heartening to hear about regular people that literally save greyhounds from heartless and cruel people that are just out to make money. If these individuals did not make a stand then a few more beautiful greyhounds would be slaughtered every year. Here is the story in the lady's own words:

I wasn't aware of the killings that go on until a friend of mine joined a greyhound racing syndicate. The poor dog broke its foot on its first race which ended the dogs racing career (which I also think is cruel although that is a delicate subject). The members of the syndicate were uninterested in saving the dog and just wanted to put him down. My friend wouldnt allow it. He tried to get them to pull together to get the money for the £700 operation but they did not care, they just wanted to get another dog and try racing again. My friend, complete with a wife, two children and serious debt problems managed to find the money to save the dog and he now lives happily with his sister. A happy ending for this dog but there are plenty out there that are not so lucky.


Even syndicates of "normal" people are looking to dispose of these beautiful creatures when they are healthy and would make an excellent pet. It seems that they want the financial glory but not the financial burden that their insistance on racing greyhounds causes. Again, I know not all trainers/owners are the same and some care deeply for their greyhounds but the sheer number of dispicable things (I cannot bring myself to call them humans) is unbelievable. Enough is enough!

No comments: