Wednesday 20 August 2008

Pedigree Dogs: The Horror Behind Breeding

I watched one of the most disturbing programs on TV last night. I don't usually watch TV because I'm usually busy working or catching up on the other stuff we all need to do to keep a household going and a roof above our heads. However, I found a story on the BBC website about it and decided to watch. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was one of the worst TV documentaries about the treatment of animals I ever watched.

The program dealt with the inbreeding of pedigree dogs and the horrific genetic effects they have on various breeds. It makes breeders look incredibly cruel and unbelievably blinkered in their views. They can't seem to see what they are doing to their dogs.

Now before I go any further, please note that I fully realise that not all breeders are the same and some realise the damage that inbreeding is doing to those dogs. They are the ones that do not inbreed and have their dogs fully checked out regularly. Some have stopped showing their dogs in protest. However, those that this story does apply to make me sick. Boxers with severe epilespy were still being used to breed from so their pups would also have that genetic trait. King Charles Spaniels had brains that were too big for their skulls and were in agony and yet were still used for breeding. When you look at pictures of the breeds today and compare them with some from the 1800s, it really becomes apparent that we are cosmetically changing them for the worse and enough is enough.

One fact that struck a chord was the Rhodesian Ridgeback - the breeders society in the UK advocated culling pups that were born without ridges at birth until recently.

I have done research on it today, extensive research (for those who will comment saying I have no idea what I am talking about) and I find practices thoroughly disgusting. However, don't just take my word for it. The BBC story can be found behind that link.

No comments: